Thursday, March 10, 2011

Discovering a folkway

I was waiting for my dad to pick me up at entrance A when... sociology broke into a battle cry around the corner! I didn't even notice I was in the same hallway as the freshman girl's soccer team until I heard them cheer "Wildcats!" The hallway outside the attendance office (which is normally a pretty bland location after school) was filled with an awesome kind of energy, and the girls weren't getting pumped up for a game--they were just cheering out of school spirit. It was awesome! The girls cheering in the hallway after practice made me think of norms we have at school. Cheering for one's team is an example of a folkway that we follow at school. I'm not a part of the sports scene at our school and have no clue (I kid you not, absolutely no clue) how people are expected to behave at practices. My knowledge of norms in sports at school is limited to cheering at games and pep assemblies. But my brother (a freshman in track--support track!) educated me that people usually end practices with a "break."

1 comment:

  1. Perfect example of a folkway. Good to have you notice that they don't always have to be silly.

    ReplyDelete