Saturday, April 9, 2011

Chinese Mothers

Let me start by saying that reading this passage totally brings back memories (gosh does it bring back memories). I can especially relate to Lulu's struggle with the piano because when I was little, learning to play the piano was actually my mom's idea and I definitely didn't take to it right away. I hated having to stay inside and practice piano when other kids were outside playing and used to cry and scream and beg for my parents to let me quit. But eventually I came to love playing piano and would pluck away for hours if I had the time. In fact, music has become something I would never dream of giving up and I'm eternally grateful my mom pushed me to stick with it. My mother, Lulu's mother, and mothers from every corner of the world force their kids to study, learn music, or play sports with the best of intentions. However, Chua can be a little extreme in her parenting methods.

Charles Cooley might argue that Ms. Chua's calling her daughter "garbage" will affect the looking glass self of her personality negatively, as shaming Sophia when she is disrespectful could end up damaging her self-esteem. However, Chua's criticism may have positive effects by setting high standards for her daughter. If Sophia and Lulu's parents expect nothing short of straight A's in school, they may come to expect that of themselves. The results of Chua's methods could go either way, which is why balance should be the main goal when raising kids, I think. While I don't agree with Chua's rules against playdates and choosing extracurriculars, I do think she has the right in idea in sitting down with her daughters to study until they do better in school. And while I never liked the way Chinese parents casually criticize their children (hey, fatty--lose some weight?), I think it's important for parents to push their kids to do their best in everything. Parents should set high expectations for their children and actively help them to achieve them. At the same time, parents should be flexible and allow their children to pursue what interests them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're not scarred for life due to your piano lessons :) You do a great job picking Cooley out of the article! One definately wonders how someone's self esteem might be impacted by commentary like Ms. Chua says to her children.

    ReplyDelete