Thursday, February 17, 2011

May you see lots of sociology in the new year...


This weekend my cousins Robert, Anna, Kao and my family got together for lunch to celebrate Chinese New Year. They're a part of my kinship group, and I absolutely love spending time with them! Anna is one of the most fun people I know and always gets a laugh out of me. One tradition we follow is for the adults in the family to give red envelopes with money to all the kids, which my brother is always excited about (the money is nearly always used for college anyway). Since Kao is older and has already graduated from college and works, she gives us "kids" red envelopes. This tradition shows how Kao has an achieved status in our group and is an example of sociology in action. Her status as an adult means she gives us red envelopes during holidays, and this same status will apply to me after I graduate from college and start working too.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post....you'll need to remember this for our culture unit we're starting :)

    ReplyDelete